3 Comments
Sep 7, 2023Liked by Michelangelo Signorile

Wait a minute, Mike. It'll take me at least a month for a facelift, hair cut, and body sculpting! 😉😉

Oh, and some Botox, too.

Hey, I know you're still beating the drum for how well the economy is doing, and Bidenomics is good for us, and I don't totally disagree with that. BUT....it's just NOT good for everyone. Think about all those Red States where the minimum wage is stuck at the federal minimum, which is $7.25 or $7.50 an hour. People in those states without a solid profession can end up working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. And there are lots of folks in midwestern states who are suffering economically from the loss of an company that serviced the auto industry, or any other industry that headed south to avoid unionization. And what about those of us who are stuck with fixed incomes as a result of retirement or disability?

My personal situation is worse this year than last because of a huge spike in our condo's insurance policy which caused my monthly payment to go up sharply and wipe out my SS increase. And you still walk into a grocery store and see prices 25 cents to $1 higher on a variety of items, and then pull up for $5/gallon gas.

The problem remains the same: When 1% of the population owns 70% of the nation's capital goods, the rest of us are left to grab at the remaining 30%. I think the tax on the richest 1% needs to go up more sharply, probably to at least 50%, and private equity needs to be reigned with regulations, for a start. See economist Josephy Stiglitz's opinion on how inequality affects democracies here: https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/inequality-source-of-lost-confidence-in-liberal-democracy-by-joseph-e-stiglitz-2023-08?barrier=accesspaylog .

Whether the economy is better, the same, or worse is somewhat personal and it is certainly a very unevenly improving economy. Even if wages are improving in the U.S., better wages just end up paying for inflated prices on everything, and people are back where they started. I'm NOT saying that Joe Biden isn't the best choice, just that a lot of people have reasons behind their responses that the economy isn't that great.

Expand full comment
Sep 7, 2023Liked by Michelangelo Signorile

This is so bloody exciting!

Expand full comment